Popular Posts

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Words that begin with "H"

    As promised, my point here is to explore the starting over process at this age and to try and figure out why I have to start over. As Aristotle said "an unexamined life is not worth living". With that in mind I have done some serious examination and for some reason the word hubris keeps coming to mind. The word is an apropos description of one of the reasons I am in the position I am in today. I looked it up, although I knew the meaning,  (again more hubris) and found the following; hubris means extreme haughtiness, or arrogance, hubris often indicates a loss of contact with the way things really are and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities. The definition is longer and I am paraphrasing, but I believe that gets my point across.
    Hubris is a disease as sure as any viral, or bacterial malady that affects us. I was and probably still am at times, afflicted with this malady. I strive to rid myself of this dreaded malady, but every time something good comes into my life I want to claim the credit and say to the world, "look, look at me and what I have done". Not to say that it is a bad thing to recognize one's accomplishments, or be proud of what one has, but I believe that it is better to let your actions speak for themselves without all of the fanfare. I became so wrapped up in what I had, a good job, a beautiful family, and a great circle of friends, that I forgot the maintenance part. Love and family, and true friendship have to be fed and nurtured, valued and treasured. I become wrapped up in me and what I had accomplished and the things people were telling me. I forgot how to take praise and forgot the most important word that starts with the letter "h", humility.
    So now I have made myself a vow and will dedicate myself to that word, humility, being humble. I realize now that no matter what I think I have accomplished, or what I think I have, I am not solely responsible for my success. There are friends and family that allowed these things to come to be. That fed me and nurtured me and lauded my efforts, but at the same time did not care about my success, just my happiness. It is those around us that we need to remember and celebrate. By being proud of their accomplishments and their victories we can shine the light on our own without suffering from hubris. I know now that in the blink of an eye it can all go away and we can be left standing in the middle of a road leading no where wondering how we got kicked off the bus.
   I am in the middle of that road now, suitcase in hand, looking in both directions waiting for that bus to come back around. However, it may be a while before it gets back...there is some maintenance yet to be finished before it can take me further. Until then I shall ponder the things that brought me to this intersection and hope that when the bus comes back by I can get my humble butt back on and enjoy the ride, humble and happy with who I am. 

2 comments: