Popular Posts

Thursday, September 18, 2014

   I have written in the past of my compulsion to write being the primary reason for putting my thoughts down into this format. I have also found however, that sometimes I am compelled to shut up. For one reason or another I find myself with thoughts and ideas about burst from my skull yet some unknown force prevents me from sitting down and doing it. Oddly, I do not find it frustrating nor do I endure some sort of internal struggle trying to battle forces bent on my spewing forth nonsensical claptrap that has no meaning other than to occupy blank space on a page.

   This recent hiatus came from a trip I took to visit a very good friend halfway across the country for some much needed if not deserved escapism. I have been living within myself for so long lately that an outside distraction was sorely needed. I flew far to the northern end of the country to enjoy some professional sports, good company, food, and fermented hops and barley. When I returned I felt like a different person in some ways. Not a new man, just somehow different from when I left. It is amazing what a change of scenery and some new people around you can do for your perspective.

   I still face the same issues. I still have some of the same hills to climb yet they somehow appear less daunting and not nearly as high.I know that no matter what, everywhere else in this world are people just like me facing the same things, some far worse, on a daily basis. My hope is they have friends similar to mine. The quantity is not the issue, but rather quality. I have a rather small circle of friends (at least in my view) that judge not, criticize when needed and help all the time in whatever way they can. That is all a man can ask. I only hope I am as good a friend to them as they are to me.

   In hindsight after writing today I can see why there was a lull in my work. Sometimes some things do not need to be said right away. Some times things need to be put aside and of course sometimes some things need never be said at all. Having friends and cultivating relationships is what we as humans were designed for. We are social animals and for the most part altruistic. We were not meant to be alone and I really do not know a single person that would stand by and not lend a hand when needed. Today I will continue to carry my friends with me because that is the poultice on the wounds of my soul. Friendship is the elixir of life, the fountain of youth and the cure for all maladies of the heart and soul. Have a dose of friendship today, offer a treatment for a broken mind, heart or soul and be a healer for a little while. I will do that today as much as I can as I start over, over 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment